Thursday, June 5, 2014

Strawberry Apple Mango Smoothie

As you all know, I am on my smoothie cleanse right now and I figured I'd share the recipe that I had today on Day 9. I will say out of all the smoothies so far, I've enjoyed this one the most- or maybe I am just getting used to the smoothies who knows but after Day 10 I am definitely going to keep this one in rotation!

So in order to make this smoothie you need- spinach (or any greens will work but spinach's taste is easily masked than others), strawberries, mangoes, an apple, and water. The stevia and flax meal/seed are completely optional. 



I would also like to point out you don't have to have a Ninja or a high horse-powered blender to make smoothies- they just make the task easier and they hold a lot more ingredients. 


Above is three "handfuls" of spinach- I don't really like measuring that way because I have big man hands (seriously!) so people with tiny hands their spinach will vary, to me I kinda just do the three and make sure it looks "right"- not that that will be helpful to you. I would say 2-3 cups of spinach. 


While it's blending you can get your ingredients ready. I weighed mine versus using a measuring cup because the fruits aren't going to be able to fit into measuring cups easily. I believe my bag of strawberries said 100g of strawberries was equal to 3/4 cup. So I just used the bags serving sizes in grams and multiplied to get the right amount of fruit I needed. 
As you can see all the ingredients take up the entire 72 oz. capacity blender- which if your blender is smaller don't worry- just half the recipe as the recipe makes 3- 12oz-16oz. smoothies. Also, take note of the already blended spinach and water see how it's really smooth- that's the key to really smooth smoothie :) 

Now, don't be alarmed while it's blending- it will look weird and maybe even not so appetizing however, just let it do it's thing and blend, blend, blend.


Tada! See the awesomely smooth Strawberry Apple Mango Smoothie! This one came out a little thicker than I normally like mine but it turned out to taste really really good! 

If you're wondering why I used frozen fruit vs. fresh fruit, I really like my smoothies to be cold and I don't want them watered down with too much ice plus many times I can get some fruits cheaper frozen. 

Hope ya'll enjoy and share  in the comments below if you try this smoothie or if you have one you'd like me to try :) 





Strawberry Apple Mango Smoothie Recipe 
adapted from JJ Smith's 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 10 Days

3 Handfuls of Spinach
2 Cups of Water
1 Apple (any kind works, I used janagold) 
1 1/2 Cups Frozen Mangoes
2 Cups frozen strawberries
2 TB ground flax seeds
Stevia to taste (optional)
3-8 Ice Cubes

Directions:

Blend Spinach and Water until completely smooth. 
While that's blending you need to core and quarter your apple. 
Add rest of ingredients and blend until desired consistency 
(I blend mine in my ninja blender for roughly 3-4 minutes)
Then Enjoy (simple see!)

No comments:

Post a Comment